10/22/08

It Ain't Easy Being Green


Man, Kermit sure knew what he was talking about: it really ain't easy being green. I try to do my best to protect our delicate environment, but I have to admit that I like my creature comforts and they often interfere with my good intentions. I do believe we human beings exploit and abuse our planet, and I condemn these things, but still I fear my carbon footprint is probably much more comparable to Bigfoot’s than that of the dainty little woman I am. Or is it?

While I was pondering this the other day, I began to realize with pride that living in Spain has made me much greener. I may not be more environmentally conscious, but just living here has forced me to adopt new habits I never would have even considered in the States. Check out this list of my top five former environmentally irresponsible actions, which have been partially, if not wholly, eradicated in Madrid:

  1. Action: I love a nice, hot bath. Solution: The bathroom in my flat is too small for a bathtub; hence I am forced to limit water and energy consumption to showers.
  2. Action: I hate being cold, and I love to sit around my house in t-shirts even in the dead of winter. Solution: Heat is expensive here so I have to keep the thermostat at a more reasonable temperature and wear a sweater. Also it would be unthinkable to leave the heat on if you’re not at home during the day or while you’re sleeping at night bundled up under the duvet. I have tried to justify my heat addiction to Iñigo, but I finally decided to just suck it up and put on a sweater. I should also add that, due to a lack of space, it doesn’t take all that much energy to heat a 55m2 flat.
  3. Action: Driving a car. Solution: This was an easy one for me to give up, since I embraced the no-car culture with open arms from day one in Madrid. I do take the metro to work even though I could walk, but I almost never touch public transportation on the weekend. We live right in the middle of things so walking everywhere is easy.
  4. Action: I’ve always been a lazy recycler. Solution: This is still a tricky one for me because we actually have to take the recycling down the street to the recycling bins, which are almost always overflowing because the city doesn’t pick up the recycling nearly enough. But since I have to pass by the recycling bins on the way to work anyway, it’s no biggie. For the moment I can actually take credit for making this sacrifice on my own, but a new law will be enacted in the near future to fine those who don’t recycle, so once again I will have no choice in the matter.
  5. Action: I love fresh milk. Solution: Fresh milk is more expensive here, and it doesn’t last as long, so it’s milk in a box for me! In addition to being able to stock pile dozens of boxes of milk, thereby avoiding unnecessary trips to the grocery store, my American friends recently had an email discussion about the ecological benefits of good ol’ UHT milk, and I was pleased to find that it saves energy too.

So while I still think Whole Foods is a rip off and I wouldn’t dream of giving up meat, I’m unwittingly greener than most of my American friends who actually try to save our planet in peril. Take that global warming!!!

3 comments:

Íñigo said...

6. What about switching lights off? ;-)

Mollypants said...

I gave up the car too...I'm going to miss my car-free lifestyle. I am now a HUGE advocate of buying LOCAL...so much tastier, you support local farmers, you get fresher, more organic foods, and you require less gas to be used to get your food to you. While I LOVE meant, there's also an article out in the NY Times magazine about how if Americans (I guess you can make up for one) took ONE meat-free day a week (or three meals), it would be like taking 40-50 million cars off the road.

KT said...

D - you've always been green - how you wear clothes OUT instead of just buying new. for ex: jeans we/you safety pinned together, sea monkey penguin, etc:)

for my "green activity" i'm using public transportation to take students on a studio tour in nov - proud?